What does a successful project look like?
Projects will be proposed and driven by YOU and the community so they can NOT be predicted in advance, but if you don't already have a project in mind, check out these thought-starters for projects that will make the region stronger, more active and more inclusive.
A Creative and Innovative Region
- ✔ Unlocking skills in the young or old, rich or poor.
- ✔ Enhancing the arts and cultural scene.
- ✔ Investing in innovation and entrepreneurship.
- ✔ Building partnerships and collaborations.
- ✔ Making use of the knowledge sector.
- ✔ Leveraging research and development.
- ✔ Lifting literacy and academic achievement
- ✔ Supporting vocational skills.
A Liveable Region
- ✔ Making use of existing assets
- ✔ Enhancing parks and alternative transport.
- ✔ 'Activating' the waterfront.
- ✔ Creating a cleaner physical environment.
- ✔ Creating key activity hubs.
- ✔ Unlocking personal happiness within communities.
- ✔ Reducing loneliness
- ✔ Enhancing community engagement.
A Diverse Economy
- ✔ Attracting more people and businesses.
- ✔ Looking at the future of work and jobs.
- ✔ Using 'accessible' smart technology.
- ✔ Improving infrastructure.
- ✔ Improving customer experiences and service.
- ✔ Making better use of renewable energy.
- ✔ Building on our advantages in tourism, service industries, advanced manufacturing, food and fibre etc
- ✔ Reducing greenhouse emissions.
- ✔ Getting equitable access to funds and capital.
A Diverse Community
- ✔ Tackling mortality and obesity.
- ✔ Buying local, making local.
- ✔ Welcoming an ethnically diverse community.
- ✔ Promoting inclusion (age, gender, sexuality etc.)
- ✔ Creating affordable lifestyles.
- ✔ Optimising fuel use.
- ✔ Reducing health costs.
- ✔ Improving housing and education.
A Connected and Networked Region
- ✔ Exploiting our gigabit city advantage.
- ✔ Attracting new business.
- ✔ Driving productivity in existing businesses.
- ✔ Creating global links in trade.
- ✔ Creating cultural links between people.
- ✔ Improving connections between people and places.
- ✔ Improving clusters between regions and countries.
- ✔ Building on assets (airport, port infrastructure).
How to apply
For more information about The Great Regional City Challenge, please contact: